Lots of tender mussels and shrimp cooked in a golden saffron tomato broth enhanced with the fresh flavor of citrus
Recipe concept developed by The Culinary Institute of America
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-1/2 pounds mussels, washed well, debearded
- 1 pound peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp with tail, thawed if frozen
- 1 loaf (16 oz each) artisan Italian bread, cut into 16 slices
- Heat oil in large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Stir in saffron, undrained tomatoes, water, capers, lemon peel, orange peel, lemon juice, orange juice, red pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Add mussels; return to a simmer. Add shrimp, cover and simmer 6 to 9 minutes or until mussels open and shrimp are opaque. Discard mussels that have not opened.
- Serve in shallow soup bowls with the bread for dipping into the broth.
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat||13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat||2 g||10%|
|Dietary fiber||3 g||14%|
About our Nutrition Information
Write a Review
All Fields Required
You have successfully submitted your rating or review for this recipe. If you submitted a review, please note that it might take up to 72 hours for your review to appear on our site.