Lentil and Tomato Stuffed Peppers
Stufffed bell peppers with a tomato-vegetable-lentil filling layered with mozzarella cheese for an easy meatless entree
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils, picked over, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 large green or yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery, including leaves
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 cup = 4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 13x9-inch baking pan and medium skillet with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine lentils, water and thyme in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cut bell peppers lengthwise through stem into halves. Remove seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut-side down, in pan. Bake 15 minutes or until tender.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and celery. Cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring several times. Add undrained tomatoes, cooked lentils, salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer; keep warm over low heat.
- Turn pepper halves over. Place half of the tomato-lentil mixture in peppers. Top with half of the cheese. Add remaining tomato-lentil mixture and top with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes more to melt cheese.
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat||5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat||3 g||15%|
|Dietary fiber||11 g||42%|
About our Nutrition Information
You have successfully submitted your rating or review for this recipe. If you submitted a review, please note that it might take up to 72 hours for your review to appear on our site.