All the flavor of stuffed cabbage, without all the work
1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
1 can (14 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
6 cups chopped green cabbage
1 pound ground chuck beef (80% lean)
1 cup frozen chopped onion
1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Stewed Tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 oz each) Hunt's® Tomato Sauce
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
View Complete Nutrition Information >
Serving Size: 6 servings (1-1/3 cups each)
- Place rice and broth in 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stir. Place cabbage on top; do NOT stir. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 15 minutes or until rice and cabbage is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook beef and onion in large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until beef is crumbled and no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar and pepper to meat. Break up tomatoes with spoon. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer about 10 minutes. When rice mixture is done, add to skillet; toss together.
|Amount per Serving
| || ||% Daily Value*
Any recipe I find online I use as a base. Thanks! I prefer my rice al dente so it's always cooked on the side. I prefer my cabbage to have a little bit to it so it's more of a fried cabbage and I add green and red peppers and jalapeño to it. This is usually rolled and baked in the oven yes. This becomes such a different recipe I think this way!
Aug 07, 2015
I use a bag of coleslaw which is shredded cabbage. Works great.
Jul 31, 2015
We loved it, loved it, loved it.
Will cut my cabbage a little thinner next time.
Feb 11, 2015
Followed recipe exactly except added cumin & coriander. Great recipe. 5 stars
Feb 03, 2015
I did some subbing! instead of the stewed tomatoes & sauce, I just added 2 cans of diced italian style tomatoes. After that, no extra sugar was needed at all. just pepper and a clove of garlic. I also used ground turkey instead of ground beef. Honestly, I think it's good without the rice. :D I did add a bit of 'Pixie Dust' seasoning when cooking the turkey, since turkey is typically a bit bland. I now know to read the label on my canned tomatoes! Didn't expect sugar in there...maybe I should've used Hunt's! :D
Aug 30, 2014
This is the best I have ever had, and without all the fuss of rolling cabbage leaves! A couple things I wanted to note, I did follow the recipe except for a few changes only because I knew there were a few key ing. missing.
1. Add cinn. when adding the pepper and tomotoes and let simmer together. Probably about 1/2 tsp, or more depending on taste. Believe me, it will not be overpowering and will bring out the flavors and is so good.
2. I added juice of 1 whole medium lemon as well. Add it to the sauce when ready simmer for 10 min.
3. 1-2 tsp of dried mint, believe me, it is so delish and adds a another layer of deliciousness!
4. oh and sub white sugar and use about brown sugar instead.
5. when doing the rice, don't use broth. Use 1 cup uncooked rice to 3 cups plain water. I used 1/2 to 3/4 head cabbage, much more than 6 cups. Cover and cook 20-22 minutes and it will be PERFECTLY done.
6. 1 TB. worchestire
7. use a can of diced tomatoes instead of stewed.
Aug 17, 2014
You have successfully submitted your rating or review for this recipe. If you submitted a review, please note that it might take up to 72 hours for your review to appear on our site.